Chad D. Brakhahn Member
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Probate, Estate and Trust Litigation
- Appellate Advocacy
- State of Iowa, 2011
- State of Nebraska, 2012
- US Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit, 2012
- US District Court
- Northern & Southern Districts of Iowa, 2011
- Harvard Law School, JD, 2011
- University of Nebraska, Omaha, BS, magna cum laude, 2007
- Business Management
- Political Science
Chad Brakhahn is a litigation attorney practicing primarily in business and commercial litigation, medical malpractice, probate, estate and trust litigation, construction and design law and appellate advocacy. He serves businesses in a variety of industries as well as individuals in litigation in both state and federal court and arbitration. Mr. Brakhahn was raised in Cedar Rapids, attended Harvard Law School and has been with Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC since 2011. He is licensed to practice law in Iowa and Nebraska.
Commercial Litigation. Mr. Brakhahn represents local and national businesses and individuals in state and federal court and arbitration. His practice includes various types of disputes, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, negligence, tortious interference with contract, and trade secrets.
Medical Malpractice. Mr. Brakhahn has experience defending claims against physicians, clinics and hospitals.
Probate, Estate and Trust Litigation. Mr. Brakhahn represents various clients in disputes related to wills and trusts, including executors and beneficiaries to an estate, and trustees of a trust. His practice includes defending and prosecuting will contests and disputes related to fiduciary duties.
Construction and Design Practice. Mr. Brakhahn's clients include owners, contractors, architects and engineers in connection with public and private construction projects. His practice includes disputes related to the quality of work, mechanic's liens, defending design professionals and various other construction related matters.
Appellate Advocacy. Mr. Brakhahn represents clients through appeals of favorable and unfavorable trial court decisions. His work has resulted in successful decisions from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, Iowa Supreme Court, and Iowa Court of Appeals.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list, 2021
- Construction Law
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2014-2020
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors, District 6
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- Kiwanis Miracle League at Prospect Meadows
- Board of Directors, 2018-Present
- Systems Unlimited, Inc.
- President, Board of Directors, 2020-Present
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Former
- Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- Kiwanis Club of Cedar Rapids, Member
- President, 2020-Present
- Vice President, Former
- Leadership for Five Seasons Graduate, 2016
Presentations & Publications
- "Current Issues and Trends in Trust and Estate Litigation and Related Litigation Regarding
Elder Abuse, Tortious Interference, and Power of Attorney Abuse," U of I Fall Probate CLE, 2019
- "Iowa Court of Appeals Decides Insurace Coverage May Exist for Defective Construction," Iowa Home Builders Association, Co-Publisher, 2015
News & Events
- Best Lawyers In America Recognizes 37 SPMB Attorneys, 08/20/2020
- 2020 Great Plains Super Lawyers Announced, 07/31/2020
- Chad Brakhahn Elected to ISBA Board of Governors, 07/13/2020