James M. Peters Member
- State of Iowa, 1980
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction, 1980
- University of Iowa, BA, with high distinction, 1977
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Arthur A. McGiverin, Supreme Court of Iowa, 1980-1981
Jim Peters is a member of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC where he works primarily in labor law, including workers' compensation defense. Prior to joining Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman in 1986, Mr. Peters was an Assistant Iowa Attorney General.
Workers' Compensation. Mr. Peters represents employers and insurance carriers in workers' compensation claims. He provides general advice on various aspects of Iowa workers' compensation law and actively litigates contested workers' compensation cases before the Iowa Workers' Compensation Commissioner. He also serves as a private mediator to help parties resolve their disputes.
Labor Law. In addition, Mr. Peters advises clients on all aspects of labor law, including collective bargaining, grievances, arbitration hearings and general advice regarding labor law issues.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Cedar Rapids, 2017, 2019 & 2020
- Workers' Compensation Law - Employers
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list, 2020
- Labor Law - Management, Workers' Compensation Law - Employers
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Workers’ Compensation Section
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
- Legislative Committee
- Board of Governors, Former President
- American Association of ADR Attorneys
- Board of Directors, FormerMember