Erin R. Nathan Member
Brandi Musel Legal Assistant(319) 896-4028 email@example.com
- Labor and Employment Law
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Construction and Design Practice
- Appellate Advocacy
- State of Iowa, 2007
- State of Illinois, 2006
- US District Court
- Northern District of Iowa
- Southern District of Iowa
- Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit
- Eighth Circuit
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction, 2006
- Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems
- University of Iowa, BA, with honors, 2001
- Graduated top three percent of class
- Judicial Clerk for Justice David Wiggins, Iowa Supreme Court, Des Moines, 2006-2007
Erin Nathan is engaged primarily in commercial litigation, specializing in employment and labor law, class actions and appellate law. She represents individuals and businesses of all sizes in state and federal court and before administrative agencies. Ms. Nathan has a passion for advocating for the rights of her clients.
- Obtained $12.8 million dollar jury verdict on behalf of contractor against large public entity.
- Obtained $2.6 million dollar jury verdict for breach of contract and lost profit damages on behalf of contractor against large public entity.
- Represented company defrauded of over $2 million dollars to successfully return ownership of funds to company.
- Obtained settlement against the federal government on behalf of an individual claiming sexual harassment and disability discrimination where the settlement amount nearly reached the statutory limitation on recoverable damages.
- Defeated claim of miscategorization of independent contractors in “bet the company” litigation.
- Part of trial team that successfully defended multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim and obtained $600,000+ jury award against plaintiff on trade secrets, unfair competition, copyright and infringement.
- Obtained civil contempt judgment that ultimately lead to criminal charges and jail time for contemptors after contemptors violated several court orders regarding the protection of trade secret information.
- Represented Fortune 500 Company in two-week pregnancy discrimination jury trial.
- Successfully represented multiple clients during Department of Labor and Iowa Workforce Development investigations of labor violations resulting in no or minimal fees.
Honors & Awards
- Willard L. Boyd Public Service Distinction, University of Iowa College of Law
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2014-2018
- Included in Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2012-2013
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Governors, District 6
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Iowa Legal Aid Foundation, Board of Directors
- Corridor Women Connect, Member
- Iowa City, City High Mock Trial, Coach
- Montessori School of Iowa City, Board of Trustees, Past President, two terms (Fall 2019-Summer 2021)
Presentations & Publications
View our firm archived presentation library!
- Non-Competes and Non-Solicitation Agreements, July
- Updating your Employment Handbook Post-Covid-19, September
- Second-Time Around: Updates on Overtime Regulations Scheduled to Go Into Effect on January 1, 2020, October
- Drug Testing Update: Are Pre-Employment Cannabis Tests on the Way Out?, October
- Department of Labor New Overtime Regulations Update, North Risk Partners Seminar, June
- Managing Employee Terminations, Employment Law Update, January
- Dos and Don’ts for Paid Time Off, Employment Law Update, January
- Avoiding Legal Issues Made by Entrepreneurs, University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa Medical Innovation Group, October
- Implicit Bias and How to Address the Workplace, ACC Corporate Counsel Forum, October
- Unconscious Bias and How It Impacts Your Workplace, Iowa Hospital Association (IHA) Annual Meeting, October
- Employment Law: Everything You Were Afraid to Ask, Iowa Engineering Conference, May
- New Harassment Training: How to Update your Training in the Post-Weinstein Era, Employment Law Update, May
- Learning About Implicit Bias and How it Impacts Your Workplace, Employment Law Update, May
- How to Avoid the Top 10 Employment Mistakes Made by Entrepreneurs and Growing Businesses, May
- Top 10 Workplace Law Developments to Expect from the Trump Administration, Employment Law Seminar, May
- Harassment in Today’s Workplace: Identifying, Preventing, Training and Trending Developments, Employment Law Seminar, May
- Final Rule on the White Collar Overtime Exemptions, Association of Corporate Counsel - Iowa Chapter, Corporate Counsel Forum, November
- New Department of Labor Overtime Regulations Seminar, Economic Alliance, July
- Employment Update: A discussion on wage/hour issues, including the new proposed salary exemption regulations and strategies for successful employment terminations, Holmes Murphy Seminar, May
- Overtime Rule/Regular Rate: The Proposed White Collar Exemption Regulations: How to Prepare, Employment Law Update, April
- Tips for Termination, Employment Law Update, April
- Proving or Challenging Damages in Employment Cases, Iowa State Bar Association Labor & Employment Seminar, November
- Negotiating Employment Contracts, UIHC Seminar by Hawkins Wealth Management, October
- FLSA / Wage & Hour Crackdown, Employment Law: Beyond the Basics, July
- Negotiating Employment Contracts, UIHC Seminar by Hawkins Wealth Management, May
- Retaliatory Discharge and Whistle-Blower Issues, Employment Law Seminar, April
- Supreme Court Releases its Ruling on OSHA ETS (Jan. 13, 2022) (Link)
- Drafting a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Policy for your Company (Jan. 4, 2022) (Link)
- More OSHA/COVID Vaccine Court Rulings and What that Means for Your Company (Dec. 22, 2021) (Link)
- What's Next? Stay on OSHA ETS Regarding Vaccination Policies on 100+ Employees (Nov. 15, 2021) (Link)
- Temporary Stay Issued for Vaccine Mandate with 100+ Employees (Nov. 8, 2021) (Link)
- OSHA Releases Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccine Regulations (Nov. 4, 2021) (Link)
- American Rescue Plan Act Update (March 29, 2021) (Link)
- Teleworking and the Impact on Employment and Tax Policies (March 18, 2021) (Link)
- DOL Clarification: FFCRA Goes Into Effect April 1, 2020 (March 26, 2020) (Link)
- Response Act (FFCRA) What You Need To Know! (March 20, 2020) (Link)
- Employer Harassment Liability: Distinctions Between the Illinois Human Rights Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, ExecutiveView.com (Dec. 17, 2009)
- Employee Fraud: Prevention, Detection and Investigation, Locke Lord Labor & Employment Law Conference (October 23, 2009) (co-author), MCLE-accredited program
- How to Terminate Employees and Avoid the Courthouse, Locke Lord Labor & Employment Law Conference (October 16, 2008) (co-author), MCLE-accredited program
News & Events