Erin R. Nathan Member
- Labor and Employment Law
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Construction and Design Practice
- Appellate Advocacy
- State of Iowa, 2007
- State of Illinois, 2006
- US District Court
- Northern District of Iowa
- Southern District of Iowa
- Northern District of Illinois
- Central District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit
- Eighth Circuit
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction, 2006
- Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems
- University of Iowa, BA, with honors, 2001
- Graduated top three percent of class
- Judical Clerk for Justice David Wiggins, Iowa Supreme Court, Des Moines, 2006-2007
Erin Nathan is engaged primarily in commercial litigation, specializing in employment and labor law, class actions and appellate law. She represents individuals and businesses of all sizes, providing counseling, workplace training and representation in state and federal court and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Nathan has a passion for representing the rights of her clients, whether large or small.
Employment and Labor Experience. Ms. Nathan understands the issues employers and human resource professionals are faced with and works diligently to provide them with the most practical approaches to tackling even the most difficult circumstances. She is well-versed in issues involving discrimination and harassment in the workplace, Title VII, ADA, ADEA, PDA, FMLA, retaliatory discharge, defamation, fraud, tortious interference, infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract and wage and hour violations. Ms. Nathan is also retained by employers to conduct workplace investigations in such related matters.
Obtained $2.6 million dollar jury verdict for breach of contract and lost profit damages on behalf of contractor against large public entity.
Represented company defrauded of over $2 million dollars to successfully return ownership of funds to company.
Defeated claim of miscategorization of independent contractors in “bet the company” litigation.
Part of trial team that successfully defended multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim and obtained $600,000+ jury award against plaintiff on trade secrets, unfair competition, copyright and infringement.
Obtained civil contempt judgment that ultimately lead to criminal charges and jail time for contemptors after contemptors violated several court orders regarding the protection of trade secret information.
Represented Fortune 500 company in two-week pregnancy discrimination jury trial.
Successfully represented multiple clients during Department of Labor and Iowa Workforce Development investigations of labor violations resulting in no or minimal fees.
Honors & Awards
- Willard L. Boyd Public Service Distinction, University of Iowa College of Law
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2014-2018
- Included in Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2012-2013
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors, District 6
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Corridor Women Connect, Member
- Iowa City, City High Mock Trial, Coach
- Montessori School of Iowa City, Board of Trustees, Past President, two terms (Fall 2019-Summer 2021)
Presentations & Publications
View our firm archived presentation library!
- Updating your Employment Handbook Post-Covid-19, September
- Second-Time Around: Updates on Overtime Regulations Scheduled to Go Into Effect on January 1, 2020, October
- Drug Testing Update: Are Pre-Employment Cannabis Tests on the Way Out?, October
- Department of Labor New Overtime Regulations Update, North Risk Partners Seminar, June
- Managing Employee Terminations, Employment Law Update, January
- Dos and Don’ts for Paid Time Off, Employment Law Update, January
- Avoiding Legal Issues Made by Entrepreneurs, University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa Medical Innovation Group, October
- Implicit Bias and How to Address the Workplace, ACC Corporate Counsel Forum, October
- Unconscious Bias and How It Impacts Your Workplace, Iowa Hospital Association (IHA) Annual Meeting, October
- Employment Law: Everything You Were Afraid to Ask, Iowa Engineering Conference, May
- New Harassment Training: How to Update your Training in the Post-Weinstein Era, Employment Law Update, May
- Learning About Implicit Bias and How it Impacts Your Workplace, Employment Law Update, May
- How to Avoid the Top 10 Employment Mistakes Made by Entrepreneurs and Growing Businesses, May
- Top 10 Workplace Law Developments to Expect from the Trump Administration, Employment Law Seminar, May
- Harassment in Today’s Workplace: Identifying, Preventing, Training and Trending Developments, Employment Law Seminar, May
- Final Rule on the White Collar Overtime Exemptions, Association of Corporate Counsel - Iowa Chapter, Corporate Counsel Forum, November
- New Department of Labor Overtime Regulations Seminar, Economic Alliance, July
- Employment Update: A discussion on wage/hour issues, including the new proposed salary exemption regulations and strategies for successful employment terminations, Holmes Murphy Seminar, May
- Overtime Rule/Regular Rate: The Proposed White Collar Exemption Regulations: How to Prepare, Employment Law Update, April
- Tips for Termination, Employment Law Update, April
- Proving or Challenging Damages in Employment Cases, Iowa State Bar Association Labor & Employment Seminar, November
- Negotiating Employment Contracts, UIHC Seminar by Hawkins Wealth Management, October
- FLSA / Wage & Hour Crackdown, Employment Law: Beyond the Basics, July
- Negotiating Employment Contracts, UIHC Seminar by Hawkins Wealth Management, May
- Retaliatory Discharge and Whistle-Blower Issues, Employment Law Seminar, April
- American Rescue Plan Act Update (March 29, 2021) (Link)
- Teleworking and the Impact on Employment and Tax Policies (March 18, 2021) (Link)
- DOL Clarification: FFCRA Goes Into Effect April 1, 2020 (March 26, 2020) (Link)
- Response Act (FFCRA) What You Need To Know! (March 20, 2020) (Link)
- Employer Harassment Liability: Distinctions Between the Illinois Human Rights Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, ExecutiveView.com (Dec. 17, 2009)
- Employee Fraud: Prevention, Detection and Investigation, Locke Lord Labor & Employment Law Conference (October 23, 2009) (co-author), MCLE-accredited program
- How to Terminate Employees and Avoid the Courthouse, Locke Lord Labor & Employment Law Conference (October 16, 2008) (co-author), MCLE-accredited program