115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4057 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Bill Vernon is a member of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman where he concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and business planning. His primary practice is protecting and advocating creditors' and debtors' rights, secured transactions, banking and corporate law, real estate transactions, construction law and contractor dispute resolution and civil tax audit defense.
Mr. Vernon followed his law degree with a Master of Laws in Taxation and admission as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in 1979. With this CPA background, Mr. Vernon’s expertise provides for unique analysis and support services for business litigation and advocacy.
"Understanding the financials behind the dispute is an important element of ensuring your position is simple, clear, authoritative and attainable."
Banking Litigation. Mr. Vernon represents many lenders and creditors to protect and assert their rights. When the repayment risk of financed collateral and credit facility increases, Mr. Vernon advises how to prevent asset dissipation and protect loan repayment sources. Mr. Vernon is a frequent speaker at foreclosure and creditor rights seminars.
Commercial or Business Litigation. Mr. Vernon has focused his practice on the business side of legal advocacy from business agreement preparation and analysis to enforcement. Mr. Vernon practiced as a CPA with a big eight accounting firm prior to practicing law.
Construction and Design Practice. Mr. Vernon’s clients include owners, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers. Mr. Vernon represents clients on all facets for government and private projects from contract drafting through contract dispute resolution. As a past President and Board member of the Cedar Rapids Home Builders Association, Mr. Vernon has counseled on all areas of construction expertise and development regulation.
Honors & Awards
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® list, 2016 - 2019
- Banking and Finance Law, Construction Law, Litigation - Real Estate, Real Estate Law, Tax Law
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2011 - 2013
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Real Estate and Title Law Section
- Iowa Title Standards Committee, 1990's - Present
- LAWPAC Committee, 1990 - 2014
- Title Guaranty Committee, 1985 - 1987
- Taxation Committee, 1985 - 1988
- Linn County Bar Association
- City of Cedar Rapids
- Vice Chair, Board of Adjustments, 2005 - Present
- Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance/Chamber of Commerce
- County Development Policy Comm., Past Member, Board of Directors, Government Affairs Comm.
- Cedar Rapids Home Builders Association
- President, 2011
- Member, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2012
- Cedar Rapids Visitors and Convention Bureau
- Member, Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member and Past President, 1997 - 1998
- National Czech & Slovak Museum
- Past Member, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2010
- Past Treasurer, 2005 - 2010
- St. Matthews School Board
- Member, Past President, 1997
- Counseling a Commercial Loan Banker to Avoid Lender Liability Claims
- Iowa Foreclosures and Workouts
- Iowa Mortgage Foreclosures: Start to Finish
- Iowa Foreclosure and Repossession
- Construction Lien Law in Iowa
- Basic Real Estate Law in Iowa
- Advanced Real Estate Law in Iowa
- Boundary Law in Iowa
- Lender Liability in Iowa