Travis M. Cavanaugh Member
- Business Transactions and Counseling
- Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Taxation Law
- Banking and Finance
- State of Iowa, 2012
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD with Distinction, 2012
- University of Iowa, BBA, 2007
- Management Information Sciences
Travis Cavanaugh advises individuals and business clients regarding estate and wealth transfer planning, general business and corporate law, banking, and tax matters. Mr. Cavanaugh’s prior experience as a public accountant at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Chicago provides useful insight into tax implications as it relates to personal and business succession planning, gift and estate tax planning, and general business transactions. In addition, Mr. Cavanaugh prepares estate tax returns, gift tax returns, and fiduciary income tax returns.
Corporate Transactions and Business Counseling. Mr. Cavanaugh advises businesses of all sizes and their owners and officers regarding entity organization, operations, governance, reorganization, and tax and succession planning, which includes the review, negotiations and drafting of contracts related to mergers, sales and purchases of assets or stock, reorganizations, redemptions and buy-sell agreements.
Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts, Probate and Wealth Transfer. Mr. Cavanaugh advises clients regarding gift and estate tax planning, succession planning for family businesses and charitable gifting. In addition, he drafts wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, powers of attorney, premarital agreements and estate and gift tax returns.
Probate. To help clients after the loss of a family member. Mr. Cavanaugh assists clients with the administration of trusts and estates and works to resolve trust and estate controversies.
Taxation. Mr. Cavanaugh advises individual and business clients regarding the tax aspects (income, gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer) of proposed business transactions, pass-through entities (limited liability companies, partnerships and S corporations) and estate planning techniques.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list, 2022
- Trusts and Estates
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2014-2021
- Estate & Probate
- Iowa City Area Chamber of Commerce Community Leadership Program (CLP) Graduate, 2015
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa Academy of Trust & Estate Counsel, Member
- Cedar Rapids Area Estate Planning Council, Member
- Past, Board of Directors
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Probate, Trust & Estate Planning Law Section
- Trust Code Committee
- Business Law Section
- Young Lawyers Division, Member
- Linn County Bar Association
- United Way of East Central Iowa
- Former Member, Financial Stability Solutions Team
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Iowa Can do Better than the Affiliate Tax: A Proposal for an Intermediary Tax, 97 Iowa L. Rev. 567 (2012)
- Estate Planning Basics, First Presbyterian Church, 9/30/19
- Step-Up Basis Rules and Planning, Iowa State Bar Association Webinar, 4/17/19
- Estate Planning Basics, Financing of Caregiving, Family Caregivers Center of Mercy, 3/14/18
- Legislative Update: 2017 Iowa Probate and Trust Law Changes, Annual Meeting of the Iowa State Bar Association, 6/20/17
- Succession Planning for the Optional Aspects of Iowa Rule 39.18 Governing Succession Plans for Sole Practitioner Attorneys, Iowa State Bar Association Seminar, 4/10/17
- Estate and Charitable Planning, Cornell College, 10/22/16
- Capital Financing Options for Hospitals, Iowa Hospital Association, 5/19/16
- Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds, Banking and Finance Webinar, 11/4/14
View our archived presentation library!
News & Events
- Best Lawyers® 2022, 08/19/2021
- Best Lawyers In America Recognizes 37 SPMB Attorneys, 08/20/2020
- 2020 Great Plains Super Lawyers Announced, 07/31/2020