115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4054 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Mr. Scholer is a member of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC where he is in general practice including: mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; commercial transactions and business counseling; real estate development, land use and regulation; wealth transfer, trusts and estates; and municipal law. Mr. Scholer is active in the firm's management, having served terms on the firm's Board and as Chair of its Business and Tax Department. Mr. Scholer played a key role in the negotiations and merger of Simmons Perrine PLC and Moyer & Bergman, PLC in 2009.
Mr. Scholer has been designated by Chambers USA® as one of America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions practice. He has been recognized as "Lawyer of the Year" in Cedar Rapids by Best Lawyers® for Corporate Law (2015), Mergers and Acquisitions (2017), Business Organizations (2018), and most recently for his practice in Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law (2019). Mr. Scholer has also been included in Best Lawyers® in America 2019 for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Corporate Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Real Estate Law. He is recognized as a Great Plains Super Lawyer and holds an AV Preeminent rating for legal ethics and ability with Martindale-Hubbell®.
Mergers and Acquisitions. Mr. Scholer leads mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and reorganizations for his clients in a wide range of industries. His involvement in these transactions includes strategically negotiating the transaction, due diligence investigation, document drafting and finalization, coordination of the closing and addressing post-closing issues and liabilities
Commercial Transactions and Business Counseling. Mr. Scholer counsels businesses and their owners (often serving in the role as general counsel) regarding entity organization, operation, governance and reorganization. He also assists with business transactions and the retention of key employees. Mr. Scholer has experience negotiating and finalizing agreements amongst owners of a businesses and dividing businesses amongst owners who no longer desire to do business together.
Real Estate. Mr. Scholer represents real estate developers and clients with land use and regulation issues, such as development, annexation, zoning, subdivision and building code issues.
Wealth Transfer, Trusts and Estates. Mr. Scholer assists his clients in the areas of wealth preservation, estate and tax planning and succession planning for closely held businesses.
Municipal Law. Mr. Scholer serves as City Attorney, providing advice on the issues and operations that face city councils, administrative boards and commissions. He also assists businesses and individuals with city, county, and state governmental issues.
Honors & Awards
AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" list - Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Best Lawyers® 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” list - Business Organizations (including LLCs & Partnerships)
- Best Lawyers® 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” list - Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Best Lawyers® 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" list - Corporate Law
- The Best Lawyers in America® list, 2013 - 2019 - Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Real Estate Law
- Ranked in Chambers USA, 2010 - 2018 - Mergers & Acquisitions
Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2014 - 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Corporate Counsel Section
- Taxation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Past, LCBA Board of Governors
- Iowa Municipal Attorneys Association
Previous Community Involvement / Board Positions
- American Heart Association
- Chamber of Commerce
- All Saints Church
- Various Youth Sports Organizations