115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4035 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Philip D. Brooks is a member of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman. He attends to civil and tax matters of a wide variety with emphasis in estate and business tax planning for closely-held entities including corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and sole proprietorships.
While Mr. Brooks’ professional time is largely devoted to counseling businesses and their owners on organizational, tax and estate planning matters, he has developed a practice area of assisting insurance agents and brokers in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and other areas unique to marketing channels within the regulated environments of the property, liability, life and health insurance industries.
Mr. Brooks’ interests also involve advising and counseling direct producers within the grain and livestock industry, including compliance and qualification for state and federal agricultural programs.
Mr. Brooks serves as an adjunct lecturer at the Emmett J. Vaughan Institute of Insurance and Risk Management located within the Tippie College of Business at the University of Iowa where he teaches life, health, property and liability insurance courses. In addition to an M.B.A. in risk management and finance, Mr. Brooks also holds the Certified Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) and the Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designations. He is a frequent speaker at insurance trade association meetings dealing with construction and interpretation of property and liability insurance contracts and insurance agent and broker business and tax issues.
Honors & Awards
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® list, 2007 - 2019
- Insurance Law, Trusts and Estates
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2015 - 2016, 2018
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Taxation Law Section
- Chairman, Insurance Committee
- Linn County Bar Association
- Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters, Cedar Valley Chapter, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Society of Financial Service Professionals, Eastern Iowa Chapter
- Cedar Rapids Estate Planning Counsel
- Instructor, University of Iowa
- Life, Health, Property and Liability Insurance Courses
- Adjunct Lecturer
- Emmett J. Vaughan Institute of Insurance and Risk Management, Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa
- Westminster Presbyterian Church Foundation