Paul D. Gamez Member
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Banking Litigation
- State of Iowa, 1991
- US District Court
- Northern & Southern Districts of Iowa, 2010
- US Court of Appeals
- 8th Circuit, 1992
- Iowa Supreme Court, 1991
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction, 1991
- University of Iowa, BA, 1988
- Political Science and German
- Phi Beta Kappa
Paul Gamez is a litigation attorney with 30 years of experience serving as a business advisor and legal counsel. Mr. Gamez has accumulated extensive business and complex business litigation experience, with a majority of those years being dedicated almost entirely to business and employment litigation. Mr. Gamez litigates business and employment cases in federal and state court and also represents clients in arbitrated disputes. Most recently, he has represented clients in securities, shareholder, contract, intellectual property, trade secret and non-compete disputes. Mr. Gamez currently serves on the Iowa Supreme Court Advisory Committee, the US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa Federal Practice Committee and is a Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Gamez worked as a business unit leader where he was responsible for business unit financial results and business litigation for a large national equipment financing firm.
Place of birth: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Additional Language: German
Thome v. The Sayer Law Group, P.C., No. 20-CV-3058-CJW-KEM (N.D. Iowa 2022)
- In a case initially brought as an attempted Fair Debt Collection Practices Act class action, a federal jury returned a complete defense verdict in favor of the Defendant law firm.
Rupert v. Elplast America Inc., No. CVCV096902 (Iowa Dist. Ct. for Linn County 2022)
- An Iowa jury returned a full defense verdict on Plaintiff’s claims for breach of contract and minority shareholder oppression on claims seeking in excess of $2 million in damages.
CRST Expedited, Inc. v. Swift Transportation Co. of Arizona, LLC, No. 17-cv-25 (N.D. Iowa 2019)
- A federal jury returned a $15,500,000 verdict on the business tort and unjust enrichment claims of a company which invested in training and qualifying drivers against a competitor which elected to misappropriate the use of 246 drivers’ labor prior to the expiration of their ten month agreement to refrain from driving for companies which neither paid for their qualification nor a liquidated sum which would satisfy the obligation.
Tina Haskenhoff v. Homeland Energy Solutions, LLC, No. LACV003218 (Ia. Dist. Ct. 2019)
- On remand from the Iowa Supreme Court, a Chickasaw County jury found, upon admission of liability for an underlying hostile work environment, that an ethanol plant’s officers had not constructively discharged a complaining lab manager.
Parker v. Platinum Services Inc. n/k/a Platinum Supplemental insurance, Inc. (May 2, 2019)
- Represented Defendant and obtained full defense verdict on Plaintiff’s claim while the jury awarded the client $981,907.59 in damages on Defendant’s counterclaim with additional exemplary damages and attorney’s fees in favor of the Defendant to be decided by the Court after the verdict.
Busse, et al. v. Busse, et al., No. LACV083022 (Ia. Dist. Bus. Ct. 2017)
- Jury rejects 14 theory Petition by disappointed shareholders and beneficiaries and court orders return of voting control of commercial real estate firm to its benefactor and managing director.
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. v. Anderson Properties, Inc., et al., 14-01439 FINRA Office of Dispute Resolution (February 27, 2018)
- Successfully defended a claim by investors against an independent broker/dealer alleging in excess of $12 million in damages. The investor alleged that several real estate related investments, which later failed, were misrepresented to him and were unsuitable. After a one week hearing before a FINRA arbitration panel, the claims were denied in their entirety.
- Successfully defended a multimillion-dollar business dispute, including shareholder oppression, fiduciary duty and related business tort claims.
Steere et al. v. DFI, Inc. et al., EQCV054166 Fayette County (August 1, 2016)
- Successfully defended a minority shareholder oppression claim that resulted in a dismissal of the claim by the court after trial.
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc., et al. v. Craig Larmon et al., 695 F.3d 749 (8th Cir. 2012); Scarborough v. Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. et al., 478 Fed. Appx. 393 (9th Cir. 2012)
- Successfully defended a FINRA member broker dealer from a multi-million dollar claim in FINRA arbitration matter.
Richard A. Primmer et al. v. Lillibridge Transportation, Inc., et al. LACV00717, Iowa District Court in and for Benton County (February 14, 2012)
- Obtained dismissal of trade secret claim seeking in excess of $1,000,000 in damages via summary judgment in an Iowa state court matter.
Deghedy v. Cyber Anatomy Corporation et al., No. 3:12-CV-00048-HCA (S.D. Iowa 2014)
- Successfully defended multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim and obtained $600,000+ jury award against plaintiff on trade secrets, unfair competition, copyright and infringement.
Branimir Catipovic v. Mark Turley, No. C11-3074 (N.D. Iowa 2014)
- Jury verdict in favor of promoter of first American-style ethanol plant in Europe for unjust enrichment in the amount of $2,000,000.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list, 2024
- Antitrust Law, Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Labor and Employment, Litigation - Real Estate, Litigation - Securities
- Included in the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" list in Cedar Rapids
- Litigation - Securities, 2023
- Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2023
- Included in the Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2016-2023
- Business Litigation
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa Supreme Court
- Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure
- US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- Federal Practice Committee
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Litigation Law Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN)
- St. John of the Cross Catholic Worker House Homeless Shelter, Board of Directors, 2012-Present
- Youth Basketball Coach, Cedar Rapids
- Is the Standard Advice on Documenting Performance Issues and Performace Improvement Plans Correct? Lessons from the Courtroom and the Manager's Office, SPMB Employment Law Risk Management Seminar, 10/19
- Protecting the Record for Appeal/Objections and Impeachment, SPMB CLE, 1/16
- Non-Compete/Non-Solicitation Agreements, Benefit Solutions Seminar, 5/14
- Recent Trends Limiting the Availability of (Duplicative) Quasi-Contract Claims, USLAW Networking Client Conference, 9/14
- Reviewing Complaints/Preparing Answer and Affirmative Defenses, SPMB CLE, 12/14
News & Events
- Paul Gamez Included in Best Lawyers in America® 2024, 08/17/2023
- Paul Gamez Listed in 2023 Great Plains Super Lawyers, 05/30/23
- Paul Gamez is Recognized by Best Lawyers® as 2023 “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation–Labor and Employment
and Litigation–Securities, 02/16/2023
- Paul Gamez Included in Best Lawyers in America® 2023, 08/19/2022
- Paul Gamez Listed in 2022 Great Plains Super Lawyers, 07/28/22
- Paul Gamez Joins Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN), 07/14/2022
- Best Lawyers® 2022, 08/19/2021