Paul D. Gamez Member
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy
- Banking Litigation
- State of Iowa, 1991
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with distinction, 1991
- University of Iowa, BA, 1988
- Political Science and German
- Phi Beta Kappa
Paul Gamez is a litigation attorney with over 28 years of experience serving as a business advisor and legal counsel. Mr. Gamez has accumulated extensive business and business litigation experience, with a majority of those years being dedicated almost entirely to business and employment litigation. Mr. Gamez litigates business and employment cases in federal and state court and also represents clients in arbitrated disputes. Most recently, Mr. Gamez has represented clients in securities, contract, intellectual property, trade secret and non-complete disputes. Mr. Gamez speaks to both public and private audiences on a wide range of employment and litigation issues.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list for Cedar Rapids, 2020
- Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Securities
- Included in the Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2016-2019
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Litigation Law Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- St. John of the Cross Catholic Worker House, Board of Directors, 2012-Present
- Youth Basketball Coach, Cedar Rapids Wildcats
- Protecting the Record for Appeal/Objections and Impeachment, SPMB CLE, 1/16
- Non-Compete/Non-Solicitation Agreements, Benefit Solutions Seminar, 5/14
- Recent Trends Limiting the Availability of (Duplicative) Quasi-Contract Claims, USLAW Networking Client Conference, 9/14
- Reviewing Complaints/Preparing Answer and Affirmative Defenses, SPMB CLE, 12/14
Parker v. Platinum Services Inc. n/k/a Platinum Supplemental insurance, Inc. (May 2, 2019)
- Represented Defendant and obtained full defense verdict on Plaintiff’s claim while the jury awarded the client $981,907.59 in damages on Defendant’s counterclaim with additional exemplary damages and attorney’s fees in favor of the Defendant to be decided by the Court after the verdict.
Busse, et al. v. Busse, et al., No. LACV083022 (Ia. Dist. Bus. Ct. 2017)
- Jury rejects 14 theory Petition by disappointed shareholders and beneficiaries and court orders return of voting control of commercial real estate firm to its benefactor and managing director.
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. v. Anderson Properties, Inc., et al., 14-01439 FINRA Office of Dispute Resolution (February 27, 2018)
- Successfully defended a claim by investors against an independent broker/dealer alleging in excess of $12 million in damages. The investor alleged that several real estate related investments, which later failed, were misrepresented to him and were unsuitable. After a one week hearing before a FINRA arbitration panel, the claims were denied in their entirety.
- Successfully defended a multimillion-dollar business dispute, including shareholder oppression, fiduciary duty and related business tort claims.
Steere et al. v. DFI, Inc. et al., EQCV054166 Fayette County (August 1, 2016)
- Successfully defended a minority shareholder oppression claim that resulted in a dismissal of the claim by the court after trial.
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc., et al. v. Craig Larmon et al., 695 F.3d 749 (8th Cir. 2012); Scarborough v. Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. et al., 478 Fed. Appx. 393 (9th Cir. 2012)
- Successfully defended a FINRA member broker dealer from a multi-million dollar claim in FINRA arbitration matter.
Richard A. Primmer et al. v. Lillibridge Transportation, Inc., et al. LACV00717, Iowa District Court in and for Benton County (February 14, 2012)
- Obtained dismissal of trade secret claim seeking in excess of $1,000,000 in damages via summary judgment in an Iowa state court matter.
Deghedy v. Cyber Anatomy Corporation et al., No. 3:12-CV-00048-HCA (S.D. Iowa 2014)
- Successfully defended multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim and obtained $600,00+ jury award against plaintiff on trade secrets, unfair competition, copyright and infringement.
Branimir Catipovic v. Mark Turley, No. C11-3074 (N.D. Iowa 2014)
- Jury verdict in favor of promoter of first American-style ethanol plant in Europe for unjust enrichment in the amount of $2,000,000.