115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4060 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Paul Gamez is a member with Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman. In a 27+ year legal/business career, Mr. Gamez has accumulated extensive business and business litigation experience, with 17+ of those years being dedicated almost entirely to business and employment litigation. Mr. Gamez litigates business and employment cases in federal and state court and also represents clients in arbitrated disputes. Most recently, representing clients in securities, contract, intellectual property, trade secret and non-complete disputes. Mr. Gamez speaks to both public and private audiences on a wide rage of employment and litigation issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Gamez worked as a business unit leader where he was responsible for business unit financial results and business litigation for a large national equipment financing firm.
Place of birth: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Additional Language: German
Honors & Awards
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® list, 2016 - 2019
- Commercial Litigation
- Included in the Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2016 - 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Litigation Law Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- St. John of the Cross Catholic Worker House, Board of Directors, 2012-Present
- Protecting the Record for Appeal/Objections and Impeachment, SPMB CLE, January, 2016
- Non-Compete/Non-Solicitation Agreements, Benefit Solutions Seminar, May, 2014
- Recent Trends Limiting the Availability of (Duplicative) Quasi-Contract Claims, USLAW Networking Client Conference, September, 2014
- Reviewing Complaints/Preparing Answer and Affirmative Defenses, SPMB CLE, December, 2014
Busse, et al. v. Busse, et al., No. LACV083022 (Ia. Dist. Bus. Ct. 2017)
Findings of Fact, Conclusion of Law, and Judgment Entry
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. v. Anderson Properties, Inc., et al., 14-01439 FINRA Office of Dispute Resolution (February 27, 2018)
- Successfully defended a claim by investors against an independent broker/dealer alleging in excess of $12 million in damages. The investor alleged that several real estate related investments, which later failed, were misrepresented to him and were unsuitable. After a one week hearing before a FINRA arbitration panel, the claims were denied in their entirety.
- Successfully defended a multimillion-dollar business dispute, including shareholder oppression, fiduciary duty and related business tort claims.
Steere et al. v. DFI, Inc. et al., EQCV054166 Fayette County (August 1, 2016)
- Successfully defended a minority shareholder oppression claim that resulted in a dismissal of the claim by the court after trial.
Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc., et al. v. Craig Larmon et al., 695 F.3d 749 (8th Cir. 2012); Scarborough v. Berthel Fisher & Company Financial Services, Inc. et al., 478 Fed. Appx. 393 (9th Cir. 2012)
- Successfully defended a FINRA member broker dealer from a multi-million dollar claim in FINRA arbitration matter.
Richard A. Primmer et al. v. Lillibridge Transportation, Inc., et al. LACV00717, Iowa District Court in and for Benton County (February 14, 2012)
- Obtained dismissal of trade secret claim seeking in excess of $1,000,000 in damages via summary judgment in an Iowa state court matter.
Deghedy v. Cyber Anatomy Corporation et al., No. 3:12-CV-00048-HCA (S.D. Iowa 2014)
- Successfully defended multimillion-dollar breach of contract claim and obtained $600,00+ jury award against plaintiff on trade secrets, unfair competition, copyright and infringement.
Branimir Catipovic v. Mark Turley, No. C11-3074 (N.D. Iowa 2014)
- Jury verdict in favor of promoter of first American-style ethanol plant in Europe for unjust enrichment in the amount of $2,000,000.