115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4076 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Larry Gutz is counsel with Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman where he attends to trial matters of broadly varying character and scope. His principal areas of practice are in family law and commercial litigation, but he also practices extensively in the United States Bankruptcy court system, principally throughout the Midwestern United States, representing institutional and individual creditors.
Admitted to the Bar in 1964, Mr. Gutz first served in the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General Group during the Vietnam War. After practicing privately in the Cedar Rapids area from 1968 through 1976, he joined the firm of Moyer & Bergman in 1977 and served as its managing partner for approximately 18 years.
Family Law. Mr. Gutz provides counsel to individuals in matters involving child custody, child and spousal support, marital asset and debt division. He has experience in dealing with marital estates involving active business ventures and significant property holdings.
Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy. Mr. Gutz advises individual creditors and institutional lenders on their rights and remedies in proceedings before the United States Bankruptcy Court, as well as cases pending in state court throughout the State of Iowa.
Commercial Litigation. Mr. Gutz delivers advice and litigation assistance to clients in need of business problem resolution, such as contract dispute matters or account collections. He also has experience in the personal injury field, representing both plaintiffs and defendants, with an emphasis on motor carrier cases.
Honors & Awards
- Rated in Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM for High Ethical Standards
- Listed for 33 years in “The Best Lawyers in America” published by Woodward-White, Inc.
- Iowa Supreme Court Recognition for Pro Bono Service (Providing services to low-income clients through the Iowa Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Project
- 2011 - 2014
- American Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors, 1982-1986
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Iowa Sixth Judicial District Bar Association
- President, 1981
- Board of Governors, 1980-1981
- Linn County Bar Association
- Board of Governors, 1977-1978; 1990-1994
- President, 1992-1993
- Chairperson: Medical-Legal Malpractice Panel, 1982-1984
- Chairperson: Fee Arbitration Committee, 1982-1986
- Chairperson: Ethics and Grievance
- American Bankruptcy Institute