Gregory G. Williams Member
- State of Iowa, 1985
- Registered to Practice Before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1984
- US Supreme Court, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit, 1986
- Federal Circuit, 1986
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, 1985
- University of Iowa, BA 1982, MBA 1997
- BA, Physics
Greg Williams has a comprehensive intellectual property practice which includes patents, trademarks and copyrights. Mr. Williams' practice includes, among other things, acquisition and litigation of patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as counseling clients on validity and infringement.
For eleven years prior to joining Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC, Mr. Williams was in-house counsel at Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids. As Patent Counsel for Rockwell’s commercial aviation electronics businesses, Mr. Williams was involved with all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent and trademark application preparation and prosecution, licensing negotiations, validity and infringement opinions, litigation support and the intellectual property aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
For approximately nine months during 2009, Mr. Williams returned to Rockwell Collins as “Acting Patent Counsel” on a temporary and part-time basis until several key vacancies in the legal department were filled.
Mr. Williams has worked with various technologies, including electronics, computers, software, optics, mechanical devices and others. He has lectured extensively on the subject of software patents.
Mr. Williams is on the Board of the University of Iowa Small Business Development Center and has been a weekly Meals on Wheels volunteer driver for more than 20 years. A native of northwest Iowa, Mr. Williams makes frequent trips between Iowa City and Lake Okoboji and enjoys stopping in to visit clients as he travels across the state.
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" list for Cedar Rapids, 2018 & 2020
- Patent Law
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America® list, 2021
- Patent Law
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers list, 2017-2020
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Trade Regulation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association
- President, 1999
- President-Elect, 1998
- Board of Governors, 1988-1991
News & Events
- Best Lawyers In America Recognizes 37 SPMB Attorneys, 08/20/2020
- 2020 Great Plains Super Lawyers Announced, 07/31/2020