Eric J. Langston Attorney
- Business Transactions and Counseling
- Real Estate Law
- Banking and Finance
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- State of Iowa, 2019
- State of Illinois, 2016
- DePaul University, JD, Magna Cum Laude, 2015
- Order of the Coif
- DePaul Law Review Staff
- Knox College, Economics, BA, 2007
- Minors: Business & Management and Math
- Mortar Board National Honor Society
- Order of Omega Greek Leadership Honor Society
Eric Langston is an attorney with Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman PLC where he represents clients in complex commercial real estate transactions, with creditors’ rights issues in bankruptcy scenarios, with landlord-tenant matters, and with regards to corporate governance. Mr. Langston previously worked in the bankruptcy and restructuring group of Kirkland & Ellis, LLP in Chicago, bringing that experience to his clients today. He regularly represents lenders in bankruptcy proceedings and also helps them explore out-of-court alternatives, including workouts and restructuring options.
Mr. Langston worked for seven years as a data scientist in the higher education industry prior to becoming a lawyer. This skillset is a benefit to Mr. Langston’s clients as he is an exceptional problem solver, finding unique solutions to the most complex matters. Most recently, quickly learning the laws relating to remote online notarizations and then conveying that process in a live webinar to lawyers across the state for the Iowa State Bar Association.
- Represented a plan sponsor in a chapter 11 proceeding involving the restructuring of an aqua-culture company and defending challenges to the plan of reorganization on appeal to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a bank in a chapter 7 proceeding of a bankrupt developer as the bank purchased the primary asset from the bankruptcy estate with an aim to selling the asset to a new developer to finish the building, and defending challenges to the sale on appeal.
- Regularly represents buyers of commercial real estate in deals ranging from $1m to $5m.
- Regularly represents condominium and home owner associations with corporate governance matters and with enforcing the rules of the association.
- While at Kirkland & Ellis, LLP, represented an international toy company with nearly $5 billion in debt to help pursue a global restructuring that avoided liquidation.
- While at Kirkland & Ellis, LLP, represented an international production equipment rental company with $1 billion in debt to help pursue a merger with a strategic partner as part of a comprehensive plan of reorganization.
Pro Bono Experience
- Represented a parent in requesting an individual aide for her child with special needs and representing an asylum seeker fleeing persecution for being LGBT.
- Impact litigation efforts in partnership with the ACLU to successfully challenge the constitutionality of a state’s unduly burdensome policy impacting transgender individuals seeking to change the gender on their driver’s license.
- Impact litigation challenging a correctional facility’s policy to deny auxiliary aids to hearing-impaired probationers and parolees and then charge those same probationers and parolees with violations for not hearing and complying with orally-given directions.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- Linn Law Club, Vice President
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Riverview Center, Board of Directors
- Orchestra Iowa, Board of Directors
- United Way of East Central Iowa Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
- Linn County Expungement and Employment Barriers Resource Clinic
- Daybreak Rotary of Cedar Rapids
- Knox College Alumni Council
- Delta Theta Chapter of Sigma Nu Fraternity House Corporation
- LadderUp Associate Board Member
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra Overture Council
- Will for Heroes Foundation