Dawn M. Gibson Member
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law
- Immigration Law
- Appellate Advocacy
- Professional Liability Defense, Licensure and Credentialing
- Healthcare Law
- State of Iowa, 2007
- US District Court
- Northern & Southern Districts of Iowa, 2007
- US Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit, 2012
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, 2005
- University of Iowa, BA, 2000
- Global Studies & International Business Certificate
- Law Clerk to the Honorable John Jarvey
Dawn Gibson is a litigation attorney with more than a decade of experience working with businesses and individuals with civil litigation and appeals, employment law and immigration law needs. Ms. Gibson is also experienced in healthcare law, representing physicians, clinics and hospitals with matters relating to medical malpractice claims and disciplinary issues. Ms. Gibson is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and Society for Human Resource Management and is a regular presenter on pressing topics relating to immigration and employment law.
State and Federal Litigation Practice. Ms. Gibson represents and assists small and large companies and individuals regarding labor and employment disputes, employment discrimination, commercial litigation and in connection with state and federal administrative agencies.
Immigration Law. Ms. Gibson assists private employers and educational institutions with obtaining permanent residence or temporary employment authorization for their employees and assists individuals with obtaining family-based permanent residence ("green card"). Ms. Gibson also advises and assists with internal I-9 audits, defense of ICE investigations and other workplace compliance issues.
Employer and Employee Counseling. Ms. Gibson advises clients regarding the drafting and implementation of policy, employment and separation documents in compliance with federal and state laws including, but not limited to, employee handbooks, confidentiality and non-disclosure, termination and severance agreements. Ms. Gibson also assists with internal company investigations.
Healthcare Law. Ms. Gibson can assist in defending a malpractice action or advise on regulatory issues facing healthcare providers.
Honors & Awards
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2015-2017
- Federal Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Dean Mason Ladd American Inn of Court
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- "Dealing with the Return of Social Security No Match Letters and How to Properly Use the SSN Verification Service," SPMB Risk Management Seminar
- "Immigration Compliance Update," North Risk Partners Seminar
- "Immigration Compliance Update," SPMB Risk Management Seminar
- "Immigration Compliance," Benefit Solutions Seminar
- "Immigration Compliance and Form I-9 in the Workplace," SPMB Risk Management Seminar
- "Immigration Update," ACC Iowa Fall Seminar
- “Hiring and Firing: So Easy in the US and so Hard Overseas,” International Traders of Iowa, Eastern Iowa Chapter
- “H-1B Fundamentals,” Iowa-Nebraska AILA Conference
- "Business Immigration Issues,” ACC, Iowa Chapter Fall Seminar
- SES 12th Annual Fundamentals of Employment Law event
- “Ten Things Employers Should Know About the Healthcare Reform Legislation,” Benefit Solutions Seminar
- “Disability Discrimination in Employment,” Volunteer Lawyers Project Seminar
- “Background Checks and Hiring Decisions,” Sterling Education Services, Inc.’s Hiring and Firing Seminar
- “E-Verify and the Immigration Laws,” Employment Law Briefing for Decision Makers and Owners Seminar
View our archived presentation library!