115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4004 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Dawn Gibson is an attorney with Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman where her practice includes civil litigation and appeals, employment law and immigration law.
State and Federal Litigation Practice. Ms. Gibson represents and assists small and large companies and individuals regarding labor and employment disputes, employment discrimination, commercial litigation and in connection with state and federal administrative agencies.
Employer and Employee Counseling. Ms. Gibson advises clients regarding the drafting and implementation of policy, employment and separation documents in compliance with federal and state laws including, but not limited to, employee handbooks, confidentiality and non-disclosure, termination and severance agreements. Ms. Gibson also assists with internal company investigations.
Immigration Law. Ms. Gibson assists private employers and educational institutions with obtaining permanent residence or temporary employment authorization for their employees and assists individuals with obtaining family-based permanent residence (“green card”). Ms. Gibson also advises and assists with internal I-9 audits, defense of ICE investigations and other workplace compliance issues.
Honors and Awards
Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2015-2017
- Federal Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Dean Mason Ladd American Inn of Court
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- "Immigration Compliance," Benefit Solutions Seminar, 2018
- "Immigration Compliance and Form I-9 in the Workplace," SPMB Risk Management Seminar, 2017
- "Immigration Update," ACC Iowa Fall Seminar, 2017
- “Hiring and Firing: So Easy in the US and so Hard Overseas,” International Traders of Iowa, Eastern Iowa Chapter, 2015
- “H-1B Fundamentals,” Iowa-Nebraska AILA Conference, 2015
- "Business Immigration Issues,” ACC, Iowa Chapter Fall Seminar, 2015
- SES 12th Annual Fundamentals of Employment Law event, 2013
- “Ten Things Employers Should Know About the Healthcare Reform Legislation,” Benefit Solutions Seminar, 2010
- “Disability Discrimination in Employment,” Volunteer Lawyers Project Seminar, 2010
- “Background Checks and Hiring Decisions,” Sterling Education Services, Inc.’s Hiring and Firing Seminar, 2009
- “E-Verify and the Immigration Laws,” Employment Law Briefing for Decision Makers and Owners Seminar, 2009
- “Managing Leaves Of Absence: The Interplay of the ADA, the FMLA, Workers’ Compensation and COBRA,” Lorman Education Services’ Family and Medical Leave Seminar, 2008
- “Sensitive Issues” and “Wage and Hour Issues,” National Business Institute’s Employment Law Made Simple Seminar, 2008