115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4081 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Christopher Loftus is a member at Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman where he is engaged primarily in finance and financial institutions, banking litigation and bankruptcy law.
Banking Litigation. Mr. Loftus counsels and represents financial institutions in a variety of litigation matters. Past representations include claims of lender liability, unfair debt collection practices, the enforcement of security interests and common law tort and contractual disputes in Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.
Banking and Finance. Mr. Loftus advises lenders on consumer and commercial transactions including secured and unsecured lending, asset-based and real estate lending and mortgage enforceability.
Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy. Mr. Loftus represents lenders in connection with troubled loans in proceedings before the United States Bankruptcy Court, as well as cases pending in state court throughout Iowa and Minnesota.
Mr. Loftus came to the firm from the Minnesota Credit Union Network where he served as Associate General Counsel. In this position, he advised credit unions on legal issues involving lending account compliance, privacy, bankruptcy, collections and contractual matters.
Prior to this position, Mr. Loftus served as associate attorney with Gurstel Chargo, P.A., where he represented clients in all stages of creditor’s rights litigation in Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. In this role, Mr. Loftus represented clients in state and federal litigation involving bankruptcy, collections, replevins and other creditor’s rights and lender liability matters.
Honors & Awards
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star list, 2015 - 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Section
- Subcommittee to Review Proposed Changes to Garnishment Statue, 2014
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Corridor Credit Association
- 100+ Men Who Care: Hawkeye Chapter
- Iowa City Noon Rotary Club
- 2016 Boy Scout Merit Badge University, Instructor
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cedar Rapids and East Central Iowa, Past Board of Directors and Strategic Planning Committee
- 100+ Who Care, Cedar Rapids Metro, Past
Access the banking presentation library, here.
- Minimizing Risks of Problematic Ag Loans, 9/13/2018
- Regulatory Update: A Review of the Recent Changes to the Military Lending Act, Webinar, December 7, 2016
- Filing the Lawsuit – Developing Definitive Strategies, National Business Institute “Collection Law From Start to Finish” Seminar, December 8, 2015
- Collecting the Judgment, National Business Institute “Collection Law From Start to Finish” Seminar, December 8, 2015
- Iowa Agricultural Liens, Webinar, November 3, 2015
- Mortgage Reform Continued: A Review of the New TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure (TRID), Webinar, July 14, 2015
- Iowa’s Garnishment Statute and the Recent Changes Following the Gemini Decision, Webinar, July 14, 2015
- TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Rule, Client Seminar, May 20, 2015
- Applicant Anxiety: Fair Credit Reporting Act Concerns During the Hiring Process, 2015 Employment Law Update, April 23, 2015
- Regulatory Update: A Look Ahead to the CFPB in 2014, Webinar, March 18, 2014
- The Impact of the CFPB’s New Mortgage Rules on the Closing Process, Iowa Title Guaranty Spring Conference, March 11, 2014
- Navigating Through the Red Tape: Understanding the Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage Rules, Client Seminar, February 13, 2014
- CFPB Changes, Webinar, November 5, 2013
- Lending Update: A Look Ahead to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) New Mortgage Rules, CLE Presentation, Iowa State Bar Association, September 26, 2013
- Keeping Up with the CFPB: A Closer Look at the CFPB’s New Mortgage Regulations, Webinar, August 14, 2013
- Upcoming Regulatory Challenges: A Preview of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in 2013, Presentation, January 29, 2013
- Account Compliance for Conservatorships, Guardianships & Powers of Attorney in Minnesota, Webinar, December 18, 2012
- Congress Rolls Back Dodd-Frank Regulations (June 2018) | Download Article
- Background Check Backlash: Employers Should Take Note of Recent FCRA Class Action Litigation, USLAW Magazine (Sept. 2016) | Download Article
- MNCUN Compliance Reference Guide, Minnesota Credit Union Network (Dec. 2012)
- It's Not Over: New Mortgage Forms Required in 2015, USLAW Magazine (Sept. 2014) | Download Article